Recovery & Beyond Cardiff: Sports Massage
If you participate in sport at any level , a sports specific massage can be beneficial at various stages of your training routine.
Sports massage can effectively be used before , during and after exercise to prepare the body for an event or to return the body to a pre – event state .
When used within a training programme a regular massage helps to maintain and improve muscle tone , flexibility and range of motion which can reduce the chances of injury .
Sports massage is a remedial massage which uses a variety of massage techniques for deep tissue release , soft tissue manipulation and myofasial release .
Our masseurs here at the clinic have worked in a variety of sporting environments with both individuals and professional sports teams. This includes work for football and rugby clubs including Cardiff City , Celtic Crusaders and St Helens rugby league . Both have been qualified as sports massage therapists for many years and are registered with the Sports Massage Association .
Sports massage for Pre – event and maintenance
When used during training and immediately prior to exercise or an event (within 24 hours ) sports massage can :
- Increase blood flow to muscles and soft tissues
- Increase oxygen delivery in preparation for exercise
- Loosen shortened , tense muscle tissue
- Increase the elasticity of over – trained hard tissues
- Stretch muscles in a variety of ways , stretching fibres and connective tissue that surrounds the muscles , reducing pain and tension .
- It helps decrease the recovery time between training sessions , especially following longer runs .
- Sports massage can also have a psychological effect , and depending on the techniques used can invigorate the body and mind , increasing awareness and muscle ton e, or can have a soothing effect , which can relax and reduce anxiety before an event .
Sports Massage for Post training / event
It is far more beneficial to receive a massage as soon as possible after an event . The sooner the massage takes place the better the recovery rate and reduction of muscle soreness which can be experienced up to a few days after the event .
When used after an event / training massage can :
- Relieve tightness , stiffness, spasms and restrictions in the muscle tissues.
- Increase blood circulation , bringing more oxygen and nutrients into the muscles to reduce muscle fatigue and soreness.
- Promote rapid removal of toxins and waste products from the muscle .
- Assist with the healing of microscopic tears in the muscle , reducing discomfort .
- Helps to return the body to a pre – event state , speeding recovery and aiding better performance in the future .
When is the best time for massage ?
The majority of people find that scheduling a session on one of their lighter training days more beneficial , as it enables the therapist to treat any specific muscular tightness allowing a day or two recovery before longer training sessions .
Alternatively some people prefer to schedule their massage following their longer training run allowing them to maximise their training performance during the week .
You may find it useful to discuss your training routine with the therapist to find out when the optimum time will be for you. We welcome enquiries , so if you would like any further information please call us or send us a message via the contacts page .
Not just for sports
Sports massage is not just for amateur and professional athletes . The techniques used can also be beneficial in reducing tension , aches and tight muscles that can develop from occupational and everyday activities .
Sports massage does not just have to be used as a treatment – by having a regular sports massage you can prevent the onset of tight muscle tissue, which can relieve discomfort and prevent the , allowing you to continue with day to day activities . Here at the clinic we see just as many people for sports massage who are not actively involved in sport than those who are .